25 Slightly Scary Deep Questions Worth Asking Yourself
One of my wishes for Profound Journey is that it be a place where we can all experience a sense of community, of connection. To that end, when I started the site last October I published a list of 25 Not-Too-Scary Life Questions Worth Asking Yourself, and I invited you to share your responses on the Tribe Stories section of our site. Susan Millard and Fran Fearnley took me up on the offer. Thanks, ladies! Now I’m hoping to entice a few more of you with some deep questions to ask yourself… and perhaps share your answers with the rest of us!
It’s All About Choice
- Choose the questions you want to answer from the Deep Questions list below or from the Not-Too-Scary list. Answer as many or as few as you wish. Or choose to write something that has nothing to do with the questions. That’s what Fran K. did and it was great! Another option is to send me a video, a collage, a poem or a painting. I’ll be happy to post it for you.
- Share your written or artistic responses with me. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you’d rather chat and you live in North America, send me your phone number. I will take your information over the phone and write the responses for you.
- Decide how you want to appear on the site. First name only? Full name? A nickname?
- I’ll be putting an image with your post. Decide what you’d like to use. A photo of yourself? Something you are interested in? Or leave it to me. I’ll find something perfect.
Why Should You Consider Contributing?
Contributing selected tidbits of your personal story to the Tribe Stories section of this site is an act of clarification, connection, and generosity.
Your own self-realization is the greatest service you can render the world.Ramana Maharshi
- Clarify what you believe and what you value in your responses to the questions you choose to answer or the story you choose to tell. Writing for publication encourages you to think more deeply.
- Connect with your tribe, giving and receiving support and encouragement through the comments you leave and receive.
- Recognize that you are generous; that sharing pieces of your story may inspire and sustain someone else.
25 Slightly Scary Deep Questions
Here are the 25 deep questions (well, some of them are deep) to ask yourself. If you prefer, you can download the list here.
- What trip have you taken that had a huge impact on you?
- Who is your favourite character in fiction? Why?
- What would you do if you could not fail?
- When did you last laugh so much that it hurt?
- What can you never imagine buying? (question from Natalie Goldberg)
- If you were writing a book, what would it be about?
- What is your body telling you?
- If you could be famous, what would you like to be famous for?
- What life advice do you give to your friends? (question from Danielle LaPorte)
- Who was your favourite teacher? What made him or her so special?
- What do you want that you can’t have?
- Describe a perfect ‘ordinary’ day.
- What song has been significant in your life?
- If you could choose to live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
- What do you most value in your friends?
- Which creative pursuits were encouraged in your childhood? Were any discouraged?
- What have you collected?
- When are you most yourself?
- What is the best thing that has happened to you in the last few days?
- What is most important to you at this time in your life?
- If you could spend ten minutes with a favourite person, alive or dead, what would you ask them?
- What is your happiest childhood memory?
- Which culture, other than your own, speaks to you? (question from Julia Cameron)
- What smells give you a sense of wellbeing? (question from Julia Cameron)
- What dream have you had more than once?
Which question is your favourite? Why?