All posts under Change

How to Make Changes the Kaizen Way

Kaizen is a Japanese philosophy. To make changes the kaizen way is to take small steps, rather than large leaps, with the goal of continuous improvement. It’s what writers do when they focus on the day’s page of work rather than the hundreds of pages still to be written. Or[…]

Read More »

How to Craft Your Ideal Day… and Live It

heart shape cut out of hedge, unfocused soft green scene beyond

Sometimes I write about what I know. And sometimes I write about what I need to learn. This post falls into the second category. I am failing at the task of living my best life. Since life is a series of days, one after another, I know that I need[…]

Read More »

The Myth of the 21 Day Habit

young black girl listening to tin can telephone

Do you remember playing the game Telephone when you were a child? You would whisper a comment to a friend who would repeat it to another friend and so on through several people. When the whispered comment finally came back to you, it was unrecognizable. Belief in the 21 day[…]

Read More »

Your Transition to Retirement is Supposed to Be Difficult

brown butterfly on branch above empty chrysalis

Your transition to retirement is supposed to hurt. If you are doing it right, there will be a lengthy period of chaos and loss occurring sometime in the first few years of retirement. My fingers itch to backspace through that phrase, “If you are doing it right.” I mean no disrespect[…]

Read More »

I Resolve to Enjoy More Pajama Days in 2017

pair of fuzzy white bear slippers

On January 1st this year, I broke a pattern that had gone unchallenged for better than forty years. This year, January 1st was one of three holiday pajama days. I wore my dark blue pajama pants and appropriately embroidered “Expect the Best” light blue pajama top all day. After a[…]

Read More »

Superior Alternatives to Old-School New Year’s Resolutions

Abstract blue background with diffused beam of light

Let’s begin by stating the obvious. If you make New Year’s resolutions, you have an 8% chance of success which means a 92% likelihood of failure. Oh, well. At least you’re in good company. 92% of business startups fail within the first three years, and 92% of drugs never reach the[…]

Read More »

35 Ways to Strengthen Your Willpower and Self-Control

plastic toy supergirl posed against field

Self-control: the ability to resist the temptation of an immediate pleasure so you can enjoy the deeper and more meaningful satisfaction of achieving a long-term goal. Put that way, doesn’t self-control sound like a no-brainer? Simply use your willpower to say ‘No” to whatever is tempting you, and you will[…]

Read More »

Karen’s Immunity to Change Map for Weight Loss

hand holding compass with wooden path beyond, symbolic of planning my immunity to change map

Last week, I wrote a long post about immunity to change. This week I promised to share my immunity to change map and to explain how to test big assumptions. Damn the torpedoes. Full speed ahead! But in the comments section of last week’s post, tribe member Susan Millard stopped me[…]

Read More »