Ten 10-Minute Ways to Celebrate Dr. Seuss Day
Recalling and reliving comforting childhood moments is a great form of self-care. Since we are a generation raised on Dr. Seuss, I’m willing to bet that there will be at least one 10-minute activity in the following list that will reignite some of those wonderful memories. Take ten minutes today to celebrate Dr. Seuss day, alone or with your favourite child.
- Wear stripes–red and white stripes if you have them–in honour of The Cat in the Hat.
- Even easier, wear your favourite colour today in the spirit of My Many Coloured Days.
- Make yourself green eggs and ham for dinner tonight. That’s what I’m doing. Adding pureed broccoli, kale or spinach to scrambled eggs will do the trick.
- Not a fan of green eggs? Then how about trying a dish you haven’t tried and don’t think you’d enjoy? Sam-I-Am would be proud.
- Not excited about either #3 or #4? Popcorn and pretzels are Seuss-ish if you name them. Try Hop on Pop popcorn or Stink Stank Stunk pretzels.
- Read one of Dr. Seuss’s many books. Your local library should have a healthy collection. Check this list for titles and descriptions. If you don’t have time to get to the library and don’t have any Seuss in your personal collection (What’s that about? Go to the bookstore now!), check out some of the videos on YouTube.
- I’ve talked before about colouring as an act of self-care. You will find four colouring pages on my Dr. Seuss Pinterest board.
- Want to do make some Seuss art of your own? Instructions are on the Pinterest board for Red Fish, Blue Fish made out of handprints, and for truffula trees just like in The Lorax.
- Here are instructions to print your own Dr. Seuss cootie-catcher. Remember them?
10. Celebrate Dr. Seuss Day with the Wise Man’s Quotes
I hadn’t realized how many inspiring quotes Dr. Seuss had for adults. You will find a couple of dozen on my Pinterest board. Find your favourite. Journal about it or make some art. Print it out and post it where you will see it often. Make it a screensaver on your phone.
Or, if you would rather stick with quotes just from his children’s books, test your Dr. Seuss knowledge by matching the quote to book title below.
|You do not like them. So you say. Try them! Try them! And you may!||Horton Hears a Who|
|Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.||Happy Birthday to You!|
|Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.||The Cat in the Hat|
|Today you are you! That is truer than true. There is no one alive that is you-er than you!||Oh the Thinks You Can Think|
|A person’s a person, no matter how small.||One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish|
|I know it is wet and the sun is not sunny. But we can have lots of good fun that is funny!||Green Eggs and Ham|
|Think left and think right, think low and think high. Oh the thinks you can think up if only you try!||The Lorax|
What are you doing to celebrate Dr. Seuss day? Let us know in the comments below. And take a look at this post for 25 fascinating facts about the man and his work.